Tuesday 1 May 2018

CULTURE AND TRAVEL ARE MY LIFE






I have just arrived back from a cruise around the Far East with Sojourn, Seabourn. Did I enjoy myself? It was a revelation and although not truly my cup of tea it was certainly an eye-opener. The dead bodies living with a tribe in Sulawesi, Indonesia were probably the most fascinating part of the trip where the family respect their dead by leaving food for them and cleaning them regularly. They live in houses shaped like boats, truly beautiful but macabre too. When I arrived they all called me "Hollywood" and wanted photographs with me. Treated like a star they asked if I knew the Kardashians, not wanting to disappoint them, of course, I said "yes" I could not eat all day despite the food looking okay and the incredible greetings, the place looks bloodthirsty and after 200 hairpin bends I certainly did not feel like eating meat. The cruise took me to Darwin, Manila, Indonesia, 100 Islands and many other places worth seeing specifically to understand that the rest of world truly is not important in these tiny Islands around the world, most spectacular moment was definitely arriving into Hong Kong first thing in the morning  My  problem with cruises is that they disturb my eating disorder with the huge amounts of food and drink available, and I am unable to deal with drunk people at the best of times.  Although comfortable and cleanish the boat is not luxurious and attracts a rowdy crowd that is far from intellectual, despite the interesting lectures on board and exceptional staff. The entertainment in the evening was well put together by Belinda King and again Tim Rice.




The truth is I have too much going on in my real life to be away too long, I realise I have a total appreciation of England. No wonder everybody wishes to be here.
On arriving back here I put on my stilettoes and went to the most brilliant performance of Chess at the ENO, starring Michael Ball, Phillip Browne, Alexandra Burke, Tim Howard, Cassidy Janson and Cedric Neal the house rocked with success to standing ovations. My friend Tim Rice, Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulvaeus should be very proud of this outstanding work which I believe for the first time was truly excellent, enriched definitely by the ENO's orchestra.  I even cried towards the end as I became enthralled with the production. Director Laurence Connor should be congratulated and if you have time go as it is only on for a limited period.  I have now been twice and want to go again a total miracle.

No comments: