Wednesday 11 February 2015

BAFTA AND BALLS

The winners of the BAFTA's goes hand in hand with good taste. Thank goodness for that.
I am over the moon seeing  my poster on Sunset Boulevard for my film The gun the cake and the butterfly glamorously on the corner of Harper, opposite The Chateau. I feel like Angelyne, the singer, the billboard queen whose lover paid for her billboards. All in pink, pink corvette, pink mini dresses, pink lips she is the opposite to me in black. like a funeral gnome.

BILLBOARD BETWEEN SUNSET AND HARPER


On the flight over with Air New Zealand I watched several great films. The Empire of the Sun Steven Spielberg's film and The Hotel Budapest again. It is winning so many awards that I thought I should watch it a second time. It was beautifully written, politically incorrect and without doubt deserves to excel. The more I watched, I know it will be a huge Oscar favourite.  It is so new and fresh, with wonderful colours and costumes it is visually unusual, touches like the Mendl cakes. Excellent all round acting and I would love the lobby boy to come and work for me.  At the award ceremony I found the public declarations of love by the winners confirmed that there was nothing going on in private. Sometimes when people keep saying how marvellous somebody is, it is often the only time they say it. It is all very well to be rich and successful but it is good to inspire empathy too.  Stephen Fry had a great time kissing the boys, I would love his job too.
ANGELYNE THE BILLBOARD QUEEN

Afterwards I sat at The Hotel Budapest table at the BAFTA's dinner at the Grosvenor House Hotel with the British Film Institute.  It was good sitting with people that really understand and love film. They know that as well as being intelligent the films should be commercial. Great films are both.
Amanda Nevill hosted our table with true flare, wearing a gorgeous dress by Alexander Mcqueen in a pink leopard print dress. I chose to look like I had been taken over by previous Hollywood stars.



I must mention the table decorations which every year are quite extraordinary.  When I was twenty I worked for a brilliant florist called Kenneth Turner, and his star boy was someone called John Lewis.  John was part of the team that created the quite outstanding decorations. Maybe the decorator of the BAFTA's should win a prize too?
HOTEL BUDAPEST TABLE DECORATION BAFTA

I was happy with all the wins at the BAFTA's especially the music award, with the romping score of Hotel Budapest/Desplat, he deserved to win, the balalaika made it all the more perfect.
As for Eddie Redmayne, he was brilliant as Stephen Hawking's. He went to Eton and  Benedict Cumberbatch went to Harrow. It proves that education and the arts should be for everybody. In my opinion more important than health, because through education a lot of health issues could be reduced. Eg the explosion of over weight people, when there is no need.

BIRDMAN TABLE DECORATIONS
BAFTA PHOTOGRAPHS BY Rex Images

No comments: