Saturday 27 September 2014

THE VORTEX, Matrix Theatre, Melrose Avenue. 13th November opening night.

The Vortex is in my opinion the best play that Noel Coward wrote. He wrote it at the tender age of 24, and he wrote it for himself. At the time the play was shocking and about taboo subjects, drug addiction, sex addictions and the controversial story of a young homosexual at the time when it was illegal. It seriously touches me every time I see it. Many years ago I saw Rupert Everett in the Garrick Theatre in the late 1980's star in it.  Latterly I was fortunate  enough to see a brilliant performance of the play, in a small theatre in Malibu starring Craig Bobby Young.
I loved producing, directing both my play and film, The gun the cake and the butterfly, I was learning, I did this for myself.
This time though I wish to support Coward. I have loved Noel Coward since I was a child. His funny lines always amuse me, and at the same time I learnt so much from his intuition. I played the part of Ruth in Blithe Spirit at my drama school, ALRA around the same time. The story of a woman haunted by the ex wife. All Coward's play deal with  human foibles with witty dialogue with sometimes tragic consequences.

I feel Hollywood would totally understand this poignant play, and the production is as near perfect as you can get.


Having seen the production starring Craig Bobby Young, directed by Gene Franklin Smith, I wished to be a producer along with Vespa Collaborative and bring it to The Matrix Theatre, in Melrose Avenue. (equivalent to the Donmar Theatre, London).

I am looking forward to the next few weeks.



No comments: