Wednesday 22 January 2014

MY NEW NAME IS GIGGLES HILCOT

 I awoke this morning thinking how my friend Yassi Mazandi had created some lovely watercolours when I was last in Hollywood. They put me in a good mood and so  I bought three of them from Michael Maloney's gallery in Hollywood,  very tempting first thing on the Sunday Morning as I was leaving for the airport.
The reason is I miss Hollywood a lot, is it makes me jump out of bed first thing in the morning. The generosity of the English is however endearing, and reminds me why I like to he here overlooking Albert Bridge. I was given some wonderful photographs from the Hello shoot, which is out this week, by John Swannell. Shortly afterwards, the still photographer,  Jack English sent a series of black and white photographs of my son Jack. I am a very lucky girl. Jack is obsessed with movies, and is in a good mood and fascinating company.  Plus there is my shshshshshshs web world is underway, so there is no reason to feel anything but exhilaration. I am also happy because I was in the Globe issue of Hello, so what you are doing is what you are doing. It is also nearing the Year of the Wooden Horse.

A PORTRAIT BY JOHN SWANNELL

I have just been told if you add the name of your first dog with the name of your road you make the perfect 'showgirl' name. Therefore my name would be Kibitzer Hilcot.  Kibitzer was my favourite whippet that used to sleep with me and perform every trick in the dog book. Hiding behind new names heaven knows what I could have created. I have always wanted to be a showgirl.
I do everything with love, and there was nothing better than making a film, perhaps I could dance and sing too.  All my interests are done with passion, My sons say I have hypomania which can be helped with an Alpha GPC supplement.
I am not an amateur and definitely not a  vintage car enthusiast, I love cars but do not have the space to keep them, just incase you think I am a hoarder.  I do not collect stamps either, although it was my first job. In another life I could be.  I am however a very generous professional.  If I do not know something in the beginning I certainly know it in the end, just like everybody else on the planet.  I like to be very good at a lot of things, I like to be a jack of all trades, yet of course there is  someone who cannot do anything at all. It is just a natural phenomenon.

Back to my new name, my first dog was called Bungie, and the  one that slept in my cradle was called Giggles, shortened to Gigi,  perhaps Giggles Hilcot is a better idea as I sweep down the staircase and do a tango.


Yassi Mazandi

In “The Sacred Wheel,” Yassi Mazandi shows off two aspects of her artistic talent. On a shelf are the ceramic works that have preoccupied her for the last several years, sculptures that look like very precisely petaled flowers in a series titled “Flowers.” They’re elaborately detailed, white mandalas with circles of petals and tabs mounted in layers which are dis- played on custom metal stands. While they have a machined look, they are in fact made on the potter’s wheel, then meticulously cut and formed by hand.
Opposite these are works on paper adhered to the wall – a combination of watercolor and inkjet print on letter-sized papers of different poros- ity. The project was inspired by the very strict diet Mazandi had to fol- low last year for health reasons – and there were many, many foods she was forbidden to eat, including some of her favorites. So if she couldn’t eat them, why not obsess on them some other way - namely by depicting them.
These paintings have a spontaneity, colorfulness, and looseness, almost an
Miyoshi Barosh, “Feel Better,” 2013, mixed media, is currently on view at Luis De Jesus.
They’re not direct representations of the forbidden in their shape or form, but rather evocations in color globules, splashes, and dots. “Guacamole” does have major areas of bright green for the mashed up avocado, plus hints of red for tomatoes. But it isn’t shown in a bowl with tortilla chips. Each work is labeled on the paper, so you can see what Mazandi had in mind and how vast her restrictions were. They include ratatouille, red velvet cake, penne ar- rabbiata, and watermelon. One has to applaud her for managing to survive it all to produce these delightful artworks, all leavened with ample doses of humor (Maloney Gallery, Culver City).
Scarlet Cheng 




No comments: