Monday 30 September 2013

THE LIGHT PRINCESS THE NATIONAL THEATRE

Last night this critique was removed from Google,  there seems to be no freedom of speech?...

I have since received hate mail saying that I did not understand the story of The Light Princess and the purpose of it, and that I am therefore ill equipped to write a critique about it.  Come on?  The story and the meaning behind it is simple enough. The point is,  that it is all a matter of opinion.  I think I do have a right to say whether I like something? Blogs contain peoples opinions, they are freedom of speech. I have been a fan of the National Theatre for many years. I was told that the piece on the blog was not suitable for children to read.  A bit of controversy always sells tickets. Fan mail or hate mail it's all mail. You may wonder who am I to pass comment,  when all I have done is produce and direct an award winning film this year?.



So I have written this again.
Last night I tasted the most delicious cake made from Polenta, lemon cake at The National Theatre.

I was going to The Light Princess by the talented and award winning Tori Amos, with lyrics and writing by the experienced Samuel Adamson, the music by Tori and Martin Lowe with arrangements by John Phillip Shanale. It was in its early days. There are so many people involved with this production that to point a finger in any direction, would not be correct.  So much work has gone into this production, and you can see it. Based on a Victorian Fairy Tale.  I was so thrilled to get tickets, and  I entered the theatre like the little girls who had dressed up with fairy wings.
I was sadly disappointed, except with the scenery and mastery and direction of the puppets by Toby Olie, which made up for everything. There was no problem with the staging which was exceptional, more the content.  You can see The little Princess floating and swimming gracefully, she does that well. Believe me it must have been difficult singing upside down with her legs held up by two men.
P.S Thank you for the hate mail keep it coming.
Musicals are so tricky, they need many songs and musical panache, most of which you throw away and start again, until you find the hits that keep the whole thing moving.
I dislike the political correctness of the play. The little girl, in front of me was wriggling and bored.This did not help.  Of course she won't be able to say so.  The problem is we all love a good tune and Peter Pan is a better story.
I loved the car, and the strong men holding her floating Royal Highness up. The story is about the misery of a little girls life with a father that does not love her, she does not cry, she floats. It is also about a boy who is a Prince and how he was effected by his parental upbringing.
It is  hugely expensive to put these things on, and the work involved  showed through the cracks of an ordinary script.  Am I being tough may be?  I wanted to be proved wrong, and I will go back later again to see if I like it any better the second time. I do not want my wings deflated.
There seems to be 'chummy' politics going on, and not enough imagination. There is so much talent readily available in England. There should be at least one memorable song?.  "Melody is not the problem" Boris says, but anyway the music needs work. Most of the times you say the word good it is invariably proceeded by the word "no", yes is followed by the word alright or okay.
Another new piece of theatre  is opening round the corner, with Sir Tim Rice's lyrics.  "From here to eternity"  which should be  worth seeing, and there is always the Lion King.

No comments: