Tuesday 2 October 2012

FREDERICO BELTRAN MASSES at the STAIR SAINTY GALLERY

I am looking forward to Frederico Beltran-Masses's opening tonight.  He is famous for doing seductive paintings of beautiful women. Sultry Spanish with black net, promising death, beautiful widows. He reminds me of Francis Picabia, a French socialite,  they have the same sensibility. Frederico's  father was a Spanish General stationed in Cuba, so although Spanish Frederico was born there. I went to the huge exhibition of Picabia's in Paris several years ago with the wonderful artist Martin Maloney, who was at the time, was directing my project with Franca Sozzani, on British Artists at Work with Assouline. I learnt so much about artists during this time and am grateful to all of those who expanded my education.  I loved Picabia and I hope I will love Beltran-Masses tonight at the  Stair Sainty Gallery, Blue Nights and Libertine Legends. Beltran-Masses had a wonderfully interesting life painting. When his painting was turned down in 1915 at the major salon in Spain he moved to Paris.



THIS PAINTING WAS THOUGHT TOO DARING FOR SPAIN AND SO BELTRAN MASSES MOVED TO Paris.


No comments: