Saturday 17 March 2012

Malcolm Mcdowell works like CLOCKWORK ORANGE

It was an exciting day for Malcolm Mcdowell, and the closing of a circle for me. 
The first week I came to Los Angeles I went to see Malcolm perform in The Artist. It was an incredible evening and I was taken with Peter Medak. Tonight just before I am leaving Peter took me to see the laying of a star for Malcolm and to watch Clockwork Orange. This is one of the best films I have ever watched. Violent, thought provoking, intellectual and colourful. Oranges, purples, greens, reds, flash from one thought to the next, like a huge cartoon with people. Malcolm was born in Leeds in the 1940's to working class parents who sent him to boarding school aged 11 at Tonbridge Wells. There he became interested in acting and has never been out of work. His performances are totally mezmerizing.  This makes you think about how strict prison was, how classist England can be, how violent and repellent society is, only softened by the main character Alex's love of Beethoven. Stanley Kubrick's brilliant film is like contemporary art.

No comments: