Wednesday 22 December 2010

WHY I LIVE LIKE I DO

In 1978, when I was 18 and very fat, I was walking in my grandmothers garden on a very hot day, Beryl Gilliat known as Squirrel, in Wiltshire,  was with her  great friends aged about 70, they were all walking in the nude.  Ronald Neame's wife, Beryl, Isobel Salmon and my Grandmother.  They looked happy and free talking and laughing like young girls.  I hid behind the honeysuckle bush in the garden I was fascinated and shocked, but I watched. Later on, I went to see my grandmother, who was now dressed, wearing a red dress over her budha body and a large straw hat, with red ruby lips,  said to me "I don't care if I die now as I have done everything I ever wanted to" The remark stayed with me, and I thought that is what I am going to do.  It is why I live like I do now.
This scene left a lasting impression on me.  These women were free, they were happy, and without knowing it they set the scene for my life and for the life of my children.  Although they were more daring than I could imagine.

No comments: