Monday 20 December 2010

ANGKOR WAT EARLY MORNING

With so little sleep in the last few days I wondered how I was going to get up at 4am to see the temples, but I jumped out of bed not feeling too bad. I took a very chic tuk tuk to Angkor Wat, through the darkness and then walked from the back of the massive temple. Peaceful and only hearing the sound of my footsteps I landed in the most incredible maize of eleventh century architecture. With about one thousand temples in the Cambodia I embarked on one of the most glorious mornings of my life. My guide was intuitive he avoided the crowds with brilliance, and only when I arrived at the front did I realise that there were thousands of tourists in the jungle.  The whole  area is definitely for me one of the great wonders of the world.  I avoided going before because of Pol Pot and the horrendous killing fields of the late 1970's to the mid 1980's. Let's hope that peace remains in this area, for more people to be influenced by this magical setting.
The temples are hidden in the jungle where the roots of trees have taken them over. Neglected, time has made them more ravishing.
Staying in the Aman group is always a pleasure, as one of the first "Aman Junkies" the Amansara takes you into another of 1960's motel living. Delicious healthy food.  I am now in love with The Cambodian tuk tuk which I plan to take to Los Angeles and London.. so chic forget the car, it's so yesterday..

No comments: