Wednesday 13 October 2010

FROM MAT COLLISHAW's CREATION CONDEMNED at BLAIN's new gallery, AND THE START OF FRIEZE TO MARK ROMANEK's FILM, "NEVER LET ME GO", THE OPENING OF THE BFI, LONDON FILM FESTIVAL

Hell and damnation, pole dancers, flames in Creation Condemned was beautifully depicted by the artist Mat Collishaw, in the new gallery of Blain's at 26 Dering Street, reflections of hell, fury and lust,  definitely comfortable living compared to the sobbing I have gone through with the film Never Let Me Go.  It opened The London Film Festival which I love and adore and I believe Mark Romanek to be a brilliant director. It was also well acted by young performers,  Keira Knightly, Andrew Garfield and Carey Mulligan.  The problem with the story is that it has no redemption and goes from what seems to be at first a boring old fashioned, out of time boarding school saga, that I could fall asleep in, to realising that it is a school to farm human parts. Something in the whole story touched me so much that I ended up sobbing into a friend's sleeve and having to leave the cinema a quarter of an hour later than everyone else, red eyed and in dark glasses. Perhaps it woke up the death of my mother, or perhaps my friend's operation next week. All I know is that I wanted to rush home and jump into bed with a son and forget parties and Frieze.  I bumped into Stephen Frears on the way out and he looked calm and collected, he of  course made a similar film, Dirty Pretty Things, (somehow that film left me with a happier soul), so I was obviously the only one shaken.  However his friend said to me as I left, "You are the most cool girl here". Of course it was the dark glasses at 10pm because inside I was a beaten wreck, confused, hardly able to stand up. Thank goodness the earlier part of the evening was a little more uplifting, a dinner to celebrate the British Film Institute, a brilliant organisation that I support.
PS: Thank you MAC makeup for the gifts of your hot sellers, a really nice goodie bag.

No comments: