Thursday 24 September 2009

LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT



Whoops - what do you do if you hate long dresses? Well I went along to the wonderful girl at Colette Dinnigan to get kitted out. A beautiful dress was chosen - of course black with diamante - and I thought I looked gorgeous. Anyway, every disaster happened on the way, so that I ended up in Kate Moss's hot pants from Top Shop. You see, the dress was put into storage with Cadogan Tate. Which was probably just as well - because later, when I eventually got it out and put it on, my friend forbade me ever to wear a long dress ever again, and swiftly exchanged it for a credit note. He said I looked an old frump and I couldn't possibly kill such a stunning number.

But do I need more black mini shorts? When I ring up my bank manager, even he starts teasing me about my collection of 435 pairs, and asks how they are getting on in storage. I tell him he will be pleased to hear that I no longer like clothes as I was nearly sick when I packed them all up. So back to the long dress...

My very good friend Mrs Barclay gave a very elegant and beautiful affair at Bridgewater House. The flowers were stunning, with swags, miniature plums, cabbage roses, pale lilac and green. Chandeliers swung gently over us. The food was delicious and Fizzy had Rory Bremner wittily imitating all the royal family whilst Princess Michael looked down at her food. I was panicking as our hostess had told me not to wear short, or black. (She also said she would provide a man.) She had clearly forgotten a visit to Valentino a year ago, where they told her that I could only wear black and I couldn't wear long or anything floral. In fact, they brought me out clothes that were very structured: a black mini dress and thigh-length boots. Not very Fizzy. Anyway, I think God heard me and made the dress disappear. I needn't have worried, as when I walked in to the party, her friends laughed and said: "Typical you are the only one allowed to wear short and black". All I needed was to bring a gate crasher and wait for Lionel Ritchie...

2 comments:

Julie Anne Rhodes said...

I couldn't survive with out short black dresses and thigh high boots. You must be my kindred. Blaze that trail with that gate crasher!

Apron of the Month Club said...

Darling you can never have too many black mini shorts. I'm a south Texas western diva, and I feel the same way about boots. I love "Old Gringo" and "Lucchese" boots. My fashion is mixing demin jeans with a pearl necklace or high heel shoes.

You are totally glam!!
Yoli Kalkofen
http://apronofthemonthclub.blogspot.com/