Tuesday 13 February 2018

BAFTA and OSCAR SCORES WHO IS IN AND WHO IS OUT. GET THE RIGHT COMPOSER

As the Oscars draw closer and closer my favourite subject crops up about film music and who will win the coveted prize that enhances every composer's life?
With the sad news that Johan Johansson died at the early age of 48, it has clouded my thoughts.
I loved the Music for Theory of Everything by Johan Johansson 2014 but sadly it was a copy of Alexandre Desplat's music and I wrote at the time that I preferred the 'real thing'. It is a tragedy of course that Johan Johannson died a week ago but his music has now taken on mythological proportions considering there were direct links between the two composers.  What is the matter with composers is that Elgar should be up for an award for the writing in Dunkirk, not  Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch should be congratulated and not Hans Zimmer for Blade Runner. Debussy, Ravel and Ellington should have been up for awards for Radiohead's brilliant guitarist Joey Greenwood's score for Phantom Thread.  Heavens does anybody write anything new and creative and why are the composers credited for work written by others? Is the viewer's musical knowledge so appalling that they do not know and they prefer the recognised sound? I can go bar to bar to prove my point. With this in mind, I would award the prize to Alexandre Desplat, Shape of Water,  as his sound is his own. Often copied he retains a dignified distance from the fray. This is why I am also a fan of Michael Nyman who also has individuality. I shall therefore,  sit on the edge of my seat at the BAFTAs.


GLAD TO SAY I GOT IT RIGHT, NOW THE OSCARS.

No comments: