Sunday 25 January 2015

FROM KINKY BOOTS TO THE LOOK OF A MAN WOMAN IN A SUIT, the new NEUTRAL GENDER WORLD

I have always loved dressing like a man,  androgynous, with sharp white shirts and black suits, I used to like the masculine lines on my very feminine body, I liked the severe look of tails, the look of white tie. My tails by the designer Kenzo, have since been stolen by son Charles, I will definitely get them back though.   Like Marlene Dietrich I wanted to find the perfect mans suite. Kenzo used to give the most incredible cross dressing parties in Thailand at the Amanpuri. The boys would all wear high heels, make up, pink and gold dresses, and Kenzo himself was the most outrageous of the lot. It was not about sex so much as enjoyment. Dietrich is quoted as saying that she much preferred the comfort and elegance of mens clothes not to be a cross dresser but because she just enjoyed them. Kathryn Hepburn followed as well.  In 1930 Marlene was put into a suit to be more alluring to the audience, this worked, it was a overnight success.
Men throughout the ages whore high heals and wigs, and then suddenly the Victorians and the Second World War made it all so dreary.
Many of my male friends don't exactly want to wear a dress but they do enjoy wearing more flamboyant clothes than are available for them nowadays and they are turning into the biggest spenders too. There is the man, the gay man, the girl boy and the boy girl as we know, and the lines are merging. I am now living in a world where you can be with the people who we are in love with, no matter what their sex is. I was having my make up done at Charlotte Tilbury's  counter in Bergdorf Goodman,  and there were as many boys at the counter as girls. Obviously they don't like regularly wearing bright red lipstick, but if their skin needs help they will definitely whip on a cream and a light foundation. Why not? Why not wear a little eye liner or eye makeup?


  Men are wanting and have wanted for sometime more individual clothes that they originally only found at the back of wardrobes. They sometimes want a more feminine shirt, or a jacket with something different on it.
I bought a coat by John Galliano made for men a few years ago in Harvey Nichols. I bought it in the smallest size and then had to alter it. My son bought another one, in the next size up, and looked incredible in it. We are always fighting over it. Other people want it too.
Now thank goodness for the modern neutral gender attitude of Selfridges who have now catered for all the sexes with their new floor. Thank goodness for their outward ideas.
Look how happy the cast of Kinky Boots were dancing on stage in a pair of red high boots, and you know none of the audience was surprised. Boys just love it as much as us girls.

I can now hopefully whip into anything on the floor at Selfridges that I desire. The interchangeable sexes are here to stay and their clothes too. There are no gender wars now, we are allowed to be whatever we desire.
Richie Sambora

No comments: