Sunday 5 January 2014

DEAR GOD PLEASE GIVE ME THE ENERGY TO MAKE ME INTO A FEMALE HARVEY WEINSTEIN

My goodness there appears to be nobody other than Harvey Weinstein backing good film these days?. Having just won at Capri International Film Festival, the brilliant vision of Pascal Vicedomini, he will of course win everywhere, The Bafta's, The Globes, The Oscars, everywhere.  Is there only one Harvey, I wonder? Now I know that is not to be the truth in the future, because I was at the film festivals where there was so much unseen talent bubbling under the surfice. However let's face it the world needs his backing and his taste. I watched August Osage County, and there are thank goodness better films out there . In a year I saw so many  new comers that noone will see. It is a pity that the world of film is rather unimaginative this year.
PASCAL VICEDOMINI's CAPRI FESTIVAL WITH HARVEY WEINSTEIN AND MARINA CICOGNA

In any case getting back to the above film. A dysfunctional family is shown here in August Osage County. We, the audience are manipulated, with  Oscar winning performances, especially Julia Roberts. Meryl Streep, the tired out drug addict suffering from cancer, her daughters, one who has unknowingly been fucking her brother. The father who commits suicide, the break up of marriages and the alluring attractiveness of a teenager to all men, and the announcement that all women are ugly when they get old. All shown here in a depressing and very accurate way. I never saw the play by Tracy Letts so I was surprised,  I found myself groaning, I found myself snoring, I found myself arguing, I found myself thinking. The human race is ghastly and here it is shown in all its glory.
Before this I watched endless trailers about Nazi Germany and World War 11, you think that we would have moved on? Please can we? . It seems to be an obsession after all these years?.  The casting on the whole is predictable. They seem to forget so many out of work actors that are brilliant?. Even though they are talented, there are other actors than Raph Fiennes, George Clooney, Meryl Streep and Helena Bonham Carter?. However, they are rarely used. Of course these actors are highly productive too, bringing scripts to the table and getting them financed. "Come and stay with me" I will back your script. You can imagine the scenario," Let's have George to stay and we will back his film, he is good Christmas company". Holidays around the world are not holidays, they are luxury business trips.  I take my hat off for the actors ability to get people interested. However, it does not make for interesting casting.

Los Angeles Times Review

No comments: