Thursday 3 May 2012

MARK BRAZIER JONES my pieces on interesting people

I have known Mark Brazier Jones for twenty five years at least. I fell in love with his  quirky unusual furniture then and I am still a fan.  
Which Hollywood star do you find attractive?



What moves you emotionally?
Documentaries about soldiers

Which film director inspires
you?
I think Clint Eastwood as a director gets better and better.  His work seems to always have humanity at its core. The film Grand Torino, which was his last screen appearance, demonstrated his skill as a Director Maestro.  The whole plot brilliantly hinged on our preconceptions of the Clint myth.

What food do you most enjoy?
A bone to gnaw on, caveman style.

Which designer do you like to wear most?
I would have to say that I am completely oblivious to which designer compares to what in terms of mens clothing.  I have amassed an amusing collection of period trousers from a company called Wild West Mercantile.  If you're looking for period shirts ie white linen dualist blouson then I would point you in the direction of a company called Darcy, but as to fashion the in now out tomorrow philosophy I find rather irritating.  I have a wonderful black English equestrian hunting jacket that I purchased from Sandon Saddlery.  For style, durability and comfort I have found no equal.

What was your most successful moment?
Being the first person ever to drive a Hot Rod in China.  Designed and built by myself ( (The Model A Deville as I like to call it).  From Shanghai to Beijing, there must be several million Chinese folk with photos of the car in their mobile phones.

What makes you happy?
Tinkering 

Which film director interests you?
Did you know when Clint goes to a restaurant he orders porridge.  That’s interesting.

What piece of music do you like listening to?
'Your Song' by Elton John, but sung by Andy Williams and slowed down so that it sounds like Barry White!

Where do you like to live?
In our airstream caravan, anywhere by the sea.

What piece of art inspires you?
The statue of David by Bernini, in Rome.  A perfect life size self-portrait in white marble achieved at the tender age of 24.

What shoes do you like to wear?
Anything by my great chum Guy West of Jeffery-West Shoe Emporiums - classic English gentlemen's footwear with a twist and a lot of edge, or my ancient snakeskin cowboy boots purchased on a dude ranch trip to New Mexico several years ago.

What made you most happy in your career?
My first sell out exhibition (June 1985) was the source of great happiness because it gave me a voice and suddenly I could see I had a vehicle for the exploration of my life.  

What person inspired you?
David Bowie in the film The Man who Fell to Earth because of the possibility that one can be introverted yet still successful.

What sport do you most enjoy?
I have no interest in any sport - this has been the source of the majority of my social ineptitude.  It means talking to chaps in pubs is difficult and whenever I've tried it always sounds like I'm gay trying to pick them up.

Where do you find serenity?
I found her in a lap dancing club on the Edgware Road .... lovely girl …

What do you like to eat?
Mussels picked off the rocks and cooked on a drift wood fire.

What is your biggest sin?
Lack of restraint

What piece of advice can you give someone?
Feel the fear but do it anyway ….

What do you like to do at the week end?
Vehicular tinkerment.




No comments: