Tuesday 8 May 2012

THE LONG DRESS DRAMA


THE LONG DRESS IS FROM NOELLS MIXED WITH A RICK OWEN'S FUR WORN BACK TO FRONT

The flood gates for long dresses, The Met Ball has been and gone, and my in box is full to bursting, with Public Relations companies sending in their celebrities, wearing what can be, one of the most difficult things in the wardrobe, and cost a fortune.  From YSL to Top Shop I have watched the women pass before me, looking groomed, pristine and often uncomfortable, as the photographers flatter. I find something very disconcerting about the long dress. It can be terrifying as it means an occasion where I have to behave.  I am often not in the mood to be polite and funny.  Los Angeles is the place where they have become an uniform for the red carpet and where for the first time ever,  I have worn long dresses not by top designers,  that fitted better and looked much flattering on the body.  Thank goodness for that. 
I was taken to Down Town Los Angeles by my good friend  George Blodwell, stylist and editor at large for Genlux Magazine where I am the Fashion Editor. He took me to the Fashion District.  Here I came across Santee Alley full of cheap shoes that were cheerful, colourful and comfortable.  Underwear too, was glamorous and reasonable with a wonderful selection of  ‘spanx’ type corsets that gave me a wonderful figure.  I did not need to diet. Once I put them on I looked more curvaceous than ever.






























He then took me to Noell's in Down Town Los Angeles, a brilliant shop full of about 3,000 dresses. With helpful staff, in particular Madelene, every single one of the ten dresses I tried on, suited me.  Of course they were all black and by designers who just do this sort of thing. One name did stick out was called Sherri Hill.  There were others too that you never hear about.  I have honestly never looked so slim and looked so comfortable.  The agony of the long dress has been put to bed for once and for all.  For as little as 150 – 700 dollars you can look magnificent.  The staff were friendly too.  So as I look at the photographs of  dresses passing me for the Met Ball, these would easily stand up for any occasion and make you look ravishing. I just have to find a Noell's in London. 

No comments: