Thursday 17 February 2011

DO NOT ABANDON ME WITH LOUISE BOURGEOIS AND TRACEY EMIN SCORE POINTS IN A MOVING STORY OF BIRTH AND DEATH





I arrived at Hauser and Wirth, Old Bond Street  to see 
the late Louise Bourgeois' show with Tracey 
Emin. As I entered a mad woman was chuntering to herself about whether I 
knew 
somebody 
upstairs. She pushed me into a corner and started talking about nothing.
Slightly disturbing, she wore white shoes fishnets and a top from Alberta 
Ferretti. She took a glass of champagne and  without her being aware we all 
started talking about her. It somehow matched my sadness as my oldest 
girlfriend 
lies in hospital with a double masectomy.  My friend twenty years ago had 
perfect 
bosoms. Cancer is  so violent.  
Back to the show which was interesting and miraculous. Two wonderful women 
working together, with a 50 year age gap. I spoke to Jerry, the assistant of 
Louise's for many 
years. He said he had the idea and prayed it would work. First Louise painted 
the image then it was given to Tracey to do what she liked. Tracey drew 
people and spoke about the images in a most compelling and dramatic
way. Half away round the room I wanted to burst into tears, it has been 
a moving week, and this exhibition woke up all my emotions.
Afterwards dinner was at George and I sat next to two of my favourite 
men, 
Mark Hix and Stephen Webster. Then round the corner I found my big pal Nicky Haslam.
Tracey made a speech.  It finished with "My love for art is the only thing 
not to 
abandon me"

No comments: