Wednesday 29 December 2010

QUALITY STREET : The egalitarian chocolate

My life is a box
of Quality Street,
based
on a play.
The 
chocolates
when you open
them are
a multitude
of colours 
and tastes
some never get
eaten at all
the dodgy ones
I like orange and red
chocolates
the strawberry and orange
mixed with chocolate
I used to like nuts
the purple wrapper
but it got modernised
they decided it wasn't
fashionable
but I should choose,
not the grey men
in suits
I know when it will
look good and taste
okay.
The box is cheap
little has changed
It was born in 1936
two years before 
my Mother
and she is now
dead
it survives
it has an egalitarian
feel of inclusion
I like that
until I exclude
which I do
often
I notice everything
and some will
be put side 
and just left
for other
people  to take
or try 
or throw away
it is left over
from the 1970's
a joke on good taste
Bought and sold
it has its life
and it coincides
with mine
although
it is more common.

No comments: