Sunday 17 October 2010

HELLS HALF ACRE, THE OLD VIC TUNNELS curated by STEVE LAZARIDES

Thank goodness a friend nagged me to death to visit the visions of hell tonight hidden by mist along wet and damp corridors, the Spanish Armada in front of me boats with their shadows against the brick walls. Astonishing and exhilarating.  The Old Vic Tunnels were alive with one of the most interesting exhibitions I have ever seen. I was receiving endless texts to go. I was listening to a concert at the Barbican of Michael Nyman and his band. Michael was putting on a premiere of Vertov and a film he had shot. I wanted to stay. So the minute the fabulous concert was over I dashed out and got into a waiting taxi, without saying good bye. to quickly see this show as it was about to close. I knew by her voice I would regret it if I did not and she was right.  It was a good evening  between two exceptional events.




Hells half Acre curated by Steve Lazarides was spectacular.  It was the art scene is about, underground sort of exclusive, thought provoking, crying out to be noticed, and yet still be hidden. With the assortment of wonderful artists it was an extraordinary vision of hell.  Through the archways I walked graffiti ridden walls, half beautiful, half crazy. 


No comments: