Thursday 23 September 2010

BACK TO ART AND A BIT OF A SPEND, JOANA VASCONCELOS, AT THE HAUNCH OF VENISON, LONDON




















































































































































I moved yesterday to a downstairs flat. I get quite hysterical and am usually pushed out of the house when moving, yesterday being no exception. Shoved out of the house, I had to do several jobs. One is quite sad: Jasmine de Milo has closed down, due to her wanting to be with her family more. She had a huge sale - beautiful clothes going for next to nothing - and I was lucky enough to pick up a cream coat I had wanted two seasons ago..mmmm Even naughtier, I went to Louis Vuitton. My friend Kim Herzov, editor at large for Harpers Bazaar, was doing a day there, showing off her style and encouraging people to see clothes in a new way. Of course I was completely taken in and left with a cream jacket with cream trim and an amazing pin stripe coat. I can't wait to wear them.. They are bit dressy for Los Angeles but for New York, London and Paris they are ideal.

I was invited to a dinner at the Haunch of Venison's gallery in the old Museum of Mankind to meet Joana Vasconcelos. I am in love with this famous Portuguese artist. Damien Hirst is famous here and she is equally a superstar there. I can understand why. There is an amazing light-in-dark maze, plus many animal ceramics, statues and a piano, covered with crochet intricately and cleverly put together. There is also a fantastic piece with women sitting open legged and men running away. Not all were pretty, and I was upset by one piece about man's relationship to animals, which made me think. Meanwhile, huge chandeliers filled a room in bright red, like toys for grown ups. There is no way you cannot be impressed by her installations - or with those of my good friend Polly Morgan, who had also her chandelier showing here, with birds.

No comments: